Log in
  • 21 May 2022 10:43 AM | Robert Bush (Administrator)

    The Board of Duboce Triangle Neighborhood Association meets every month. At the May 2022 meeting, the Board discussed the following:

    Meetings

    The Ballroom at the Harvey Milk Recreation Center has been secured for bimonthly in-person Tuesday evening Public Meetings as the venue is currently closed on Mondays. The community room at Chase has been secured for in-person Board Meetings. A hybrid format with both in-person and Zoom options is being developed.

    Treasurer’s Report

    Transfer of records and accounts to new DTNA Treasurer, Kimyn Braithwaite, should be completed in May. Last month DTNA Board approved opening a QuickBooks account which Wild Apricot is set up to work with.

    Newsletter

    Rose continues to solicit contributors to provide more varied content.

    Website

    A map depicting membership eligibility “one block beyond” DTNA boundaries has been posted. So far $4,065.00 of the 2021 $4,275.00 budget has been expended. Additional work is needed to make the site more dynamic and highlight current DTNA initiatives. A new budget for 2022 is needed.

    DTNA Board Updates

    Board approved DTNA support for Supervisor Mandelman’s ‘A Place for All’ ordinance.

    Slow Triangle Updates

    Slow Triangle Working Group selected two excellent interns to work this summer with goal of (1) obtaining Community Input regarding creation and nature of a Slow Triangle, holding 3 to 5 Community workshops, (2) design concept for bulb-out gardens/public space, and (3) design suggestions for the Duboce & Sanchez-Steiner intersection. Waymo has donated $2,500 for the summer project. Additional funding is needed to reach a goal of $10,000.

    Land Use Updates

    The mixed-use multi-family apartment buildings at 2135 and 2140 Market Street are being presented to the San Francisco Planning Department in June for entitlement. The Committee reviewed the updated designs, which include more on-site affordable units and higher quality facades. The Committee voted to endorse both projects and will issue a letter of support.

    The 1 Church Street apartment building is looking to activate its ground floor, which could include reopening the child care center on Webster St. and finding a new use for the retail space on Church St.

    Membership Committee

    A brainstorming meeting was held. Suggestions for expanding membership are being developed.

    DTNA Logo Contest

    A Zoom meeting is being set up.

    Environmental Protection Impact Committee

    Street pruning has begun, starting with Castro Street. The latest pruning appears severe, but MUNI requires clearance of 10 feet from wires and 2 feet from poles. Street gardens are spreading on Potomac Street. Survey for tree plantings continues.

    Safety Reports

    Fire safety concerns can be addressed by inviting SFFD to make a presentation at a Public Meeting.

    April Community Public Meeting

    The April 11th in-person meeting at Café du Nord which included a Zoom hybrid component was well attended. See Public Meeting article.


  • 7 Mar 2022 4:48 PM | Robert Bush (Administrator)

    The Board of Duboce Triangle Neighborhood Association now meets every month. At the March 2022 meeting, we discussed the following:

    2022 DTNA Election

    The Board welcomed two new members, Sugam Jain and Jessica Martines, Frank Tizedes new President and Kimyn Braithwaite the new Treasurer. 

    Treasurer’s Report

    Past Treasurer, Nick, presented a financial report and is to meet with new Treasurer, Kimyn Braithwaite, to complete transfer of records.

    Newsletter

    New Advertising is putting pressure on space needed for content and impacts cost if additional pages are needed. Rose is looking at alternatives and suggested consideration of a low cost classified section that could also help with engaging new members.

    Website

    Annual single year and auto-recurring membership payment levels have been created. A map depicting membership eligibility “one block beyond” DTNA boundaries is being developed. So far $2,675.00 of the $5,000.00 budget has been expended. Tutorial meetings will be set up for Board members needing website Admin access.

    Land Use Updates

    14th Street calming proposal approved with painted buffer zones and no alteration of parking. A proposal has been submitted for a UC Berkeley summer student to develop a values statement and a design concept for common areas/public space and the Duboce-Sanchez-Steiner intersection in the Triangle. Funding is being sought.

    Environmental Protection Impact Committee

    Focus will be on expanding the green canopy. Some funding has been secured from Supervisor Mandelman’s office.

    Safety Reports

    Website or Facebook may be better suited than newsletter for these reports. 

    Upcoming April Community Public Meeting Agenda

    The April 11th meeting will be held in-person at Café du Nord and follow SF safety protocols that are rapidly changing. This will be the first in-person Public meeting since February 2020. The meeting will be primarily social with a brief Slow Triangle report.


  • 10 Jan 2022 7:00 PM | Robert Bush (Administrator)

    The Board of Duboce Triangle Neighborhood Association now meets every month. At the January 2022 meeting, we discussed the following:

    2022 DTNA Election

    Plan to conduct online voting using Election Runner and mailing paper ballots to those few members for whom DTNA has no email address in February, as DTNA did in 2021. Current Board members have expressed an interest in continuing on the Board, although the current DTNA Treasurer would like to pass the baton for that position and return to his Director’s role if a new Treasurer candidate can be identified. There are currently two Board seat vacancies. Two DTNA members have reached out to the Board expressing their interest in serving on the Board. See DTNA 2022 Election Post in News/Update blog.

    Board Goals for 2022

    Each Board member was asked what Goal they would be the champion for in 2022 and what Goal they would help another Board member address. Five working groups were identified: Land Use: Kevin Riley; Open/Public Space (Beautification, Trees, Slow Triangle): Frank Tizedes, Erik Honda, Hans Galland; Membership: Paige Rausser; Website: Bob Bush; Newsletter: Rose Linke.

    2022 Meeting Schedule

    Reaffirmed new monthly first Monday Board meetings; every odd-numbered month second Monday, Land Use; and maintaining every even-numbered month second Monday Public Community meetings shortened to one hour (07:00PM to 08:00PM). Meetings will remain virtual for now with expectation to add periodic in-person social meet-ups like the October 17th block party or, when feasible, the December 2019 meeting party.

    Newsletter

    With additional new advertisers need to review how many pages are needed to ensure space for needed content. Further discussion referred to the Newsletter Working Group.

    Website Migration 

    Bundle membership for all membership levels above Household approved. Online ordering of newsletter advertisements has been added to website.

    Land Use Updates

    DTNA will address desired inclusion of 20% Affordable Housing based on recommendations from the Land Use committee on a project-by-project basis instead of a 2015 Letter of Intent that other signatories no longer adhere to.

    Upcoming February General Meeting Agenda

    2022 DTNA Election of Officers and Board Directors; Duboce Triangle Street Trees and Public Works tree trimming planned in 2022; and introduction of some new neighborhood businesses.


  • 13 Dec 2021 7:15 PM | Robert Bush (Administrator)

    by Erik Honda, DTNA Secretary

    A large and feisty crowd showed up for the DTNA December General Meeting to see the data collected by three teams from a UC Berkeley Urban Design graduate research class, who have been looking at the Triangle through the frame of our plans for a Slow Triangle. We apologize for the problems folks had getting in on Google Meet, and will work on solutions to get that fixed for future meetings. So sorry!

    Board member Hans Galland, who is coordinating the project, introduced it as research-based, but also part of an iterative process that will involve the community at all stages, of which this meeting was an early part. The three teams presented, and details of their presentations can be found in the Slow Triangle updates article elsewhere in this newsletter, and also on our website at dtna.org.

    Following the presentations, one neighbor took issue with most of the recommendations and proposals that came out of the data the students collected, on the basis that since they are not from here they cant fully understand what its like to live here. Others celebrated their suggestions and hoped for even more radical transformations. All agreed that we need better enforcement of traffic laws in San Francisco, that different parts of the neighborhood and different streets need different treatments (this cannot be a one size fits all” proposal), and that they were very appreciative of all the hard work and many hours the students spent in our neighborhood, observing traffic, conducting surveys of pedestrians and business owners, and sketching out solutions to make our neighborhood a better place. 

    Thanks again so much to the teams! Hopefully they will return in future years to celebrate the fruits of their labor.

    Team 1:  Streetside Mini-Plazas 

    This team found the corner bulb-outs or mini-plazas” to be the key urban design element of the Triangle, and made suggestions for repairing and upgrading the plazas. 

    Shuqi Li, Master of Urban Design – Houzhou China
    Jieqiong Chang, Master of Landscape Architecture – Hebei Province, China

    Byron Li, Master of Landscape Architecture – San Francisco California, U.S.A.

    Team 2: Parking Configurations Effect on Traffic Calming and the Public Realm

    This team found that easy paint-only” reconfigurations of parking orientation could make the neighborhood safer for pedestrians and bicyclists.

    Andy Cheng, Master of Urban Design – Taipei, Taiwan
    Diksha Singh, Master of Urban Design – Delhi, India

    Joann Martinez, Master of City Planning – Lodi California, U.S.A.

    Team 3: The Potential for a Safe and Walkable 14th Street

    This team provided suggestions for widening sidewalks and other changes to allow for better pedestrian movement and business access on 14th Street.

    Vedanti Agrawal, Master of Urban Design – Mumbai, India
    Wenzheng Fang, Master of Urban Design – Beijing, China

    Pawida Bualert, Master of City Planning – Bangkok, Thailand


    Call to all neighbors: Please involve yourself in the process going forward (see links and info in the 2022 Feb-Mar Duboce Triangle News Slow Triangle article), because the more participation we have, the better the final product will be. Thanks to all who attended!




  • 13 Dec 2021 7:00 PM | Robert Bush (Administrator)

    Wendy Gutshall (Director, Public and Government Affairs, Safeway - Northern California Division) and Shawn Robertson (Market Street Safeway Store Director) discussed recent changes to address challenges Market Street Safeway is facing: there is now only one site for entrance and exit, self checkouts have been consolidated to one space, and the store closes at 09:00PM. So far these changes have had a positive impact.

    Neighbors raised concerns about the impact of early closure at 09:00PM, especially on those who work non-traditional shifts, noting that Whole Food is open to 10:00PM. Supervisor Mandelman said he is working to get hours extended.

  • 8 Nov 2021 7:00 PM | Robert Bush (Administrator)

    by Bob Bush, DTNA Vice President                

    The Board of Duboce Triangle Neighborhood Association meets every other month. At the November 2021 meeting, we discussed the following:

    Board Function: Discussed how to improve the Board experience and functioning through more frequent in-person interactions that have been missing with COVID restrictions. Board members to meet in the Noe-Beaver Community Garden, Sunday November 21, 2021, at 02:00PM.

    Website Migration: Migration of membership data onto the new website for DTNA members who paid dues 2018 though 2021 is complete and an email blast introducing the new website has been sent to them. The website is still a work in process.

    Land Use Updates: Kevin Riley, Land Use Chair, summarized what is detailed in Land Use Blog Update.

    Phoenix Day Block Party: Sunday, October 17th, Noe Street between 14th and Henry Streets. Many neighbors helped set up the successful Block Party which was well attended.

    Upcoming December Community Public Meeting AgendaUC Berkeley master students who are researching various aspects of traffic calming in the Duboce Triangle as part of their course in Urban Design Research Methods will present their research findings. 



  • 11 Oct 2021 7:00 PM | Robert Bush (Administrator)

    Political Bigwigs Descend on DTNA General Meeting

    by Erik Honda, DTNA Secretary

    The October DTNA General Meeting was a nexus of state and local political power, as former Asssemblymember and now San Francisco City Attorney David Chiu joined State Senator Scott Wiener and Supervisor Rafael Mandelman for a confab. Chiu, who started his political career as a neighborhood association president, has been bringing San Francisco values to the state assembly and intends to preserve those same values as City Attorney, working hard to see citizens civil rights protected, and taking down corporate bad guys. He will continue to fight evictions, and to secure funding for affordable housing; this year the Assembly was able to pass $10 billion for affordable housing, plus $4 billion for tenant subsidies to prevent evictions.

    Senator Wiener has had a recent run of legislative success. He has always been a legislative powerhouse, but this year he was able to get a ton of bills signed, including SB9 and SB10, which he has been pursuing since he arrived in Sacramento. Wiener pointed out that San Francisco has only a three-person delegation in Sacramento (compared to 30 for LA county), but they are strong – Ting, Chiu, and Wiener, and they get a lot done. This session Wiener would like to give San Francisco more tools to address the 700 people who died of drug overdoses last year. He has spent six years pushing for safe consumption sites, he wants to get usage off the streets, and get folks into treatment. There have been decades of positive outcomes with these facilities in Europe, Canada, and Australia. A vehicle-miles-traveled fee instead of a gas tax is also moving forward. 

    Supervisor Mandelman sparred with Senator Wiener a bit on the housing issue, saying he is a little bit less hardcore than Wiener on housing, but that he agrees with Wiener that too much local discretion has definitely caused problems, and San Francisco is among the worst places (ironically, shortly after our meeting Mandelman was one of eight Supervisors who voted down a new building South of Market that would have included affordable housing)

    Despite the controversy, we adjourned in concord, significantly more knowledgeable because the movers and shakers were engaged with their constituents. 


  • 9 Aug 2021 11:37 PM | Robert Bush (Administrator)

    DTNA General Meeting Notes August 2021 (Virtual Meeting due to Covid-19 pandemic)

    Kimyn started by giving Kevin a bit of time to talk about Land Use issues. He reported on the progress on 14th Street and the Slow Triangle process.

    Pat asked about the Duboce Triangle Historic District. David Troup reported that the historic content statement is complete. David and Dennis Richards have reviewed and sent their feedback. They are scheduled to do a walk around in the next couple of weeks that will determine what will be the historic district, what buildings are eligible for landmark status, etc. He will report at next Land Use or send info to Kevin to report.

    At 7:10 Kimyn handed over to Bob to facilitate the Harvey Milk Plaza discussion. Bob laid out the agenda and that there would be a 5-minute question period after each of three presentations – city architect, Friends of Harvey Milk Plaza, Advocated for Harvey Milk Plaza. Kevin will monitor the questions, Bob explained how to do that in the chat and in the Q and A  function on Google Meet.

    Bob gives background – the transit station opened in 1980, the plaza was dedicated to Harvey Milk in 1985. He outlined the problems with the current station – accessibility, weather protection, and lack of fulsome dedication to Harvey Milk. The City has gotten funds to improve the accessibility, including an elevator and a canopy. That is an opportunity to re-envision the plaza. City will present the accessibility, then presentations on how to improve the other elements, one with a completely new design, one not.  

    Alita Sweat from SFMTA, and Jane Chan, DPW project architect, presented the City’s plans. Jane said the project was initiated in 2016, but has been moving along very slowly. Project is now ready for bid, will be ready in the next few months, will start construction in early 2022.

    Jane showed the plans for the new elevator, which will be accessible both from Market Street and from Castro. Street level improvements include widening the now very narrow sidewalk along Market to make it safer. Plan is to replant the garden, including removing current plants as it will be a staging area. But they will save the palms. Will replace the poles along Market and replace brick paving with concrete to aid wheelchair users. They are also planning to replace parts of the terrazzo paving for the same reason (it’s slippery). They are re-fencing the area to create an arrival/lobby area separate from the plaza. There is a plan to re-fabricate the Harvey Milk Memorial signage and enlarge them, and hang in a similar space. Jane explained there will be a safer bus on and off-loading space. The elevator will be glass, fully transparent, which will aid in safety and structurally independent of the plaza. Annette Williams, director of accessible services explained the need for the elevator.

    Q and A: Pat asked if the elevator will be wheelchair accessible, A: yes. Pat: Some sort of guard rail to protect from cars? A: Railings are usually on back side of space, there will be a wall there, can’t do a rail at the curb as that prevents bus egress. David asks if the lower plaza will be closed when the MUNI station is closed. A: Yes, that’s why they added the new fencing. At night the plaza will be open, station will be fenced and closed. Kevin asked about the replanting, will the planting be brought up to street level? A: No, not part of this project. Will existing elevator will remain, as well as existing staircase and elevator? A: Yes, all will stay in operation during construction. Bob asks about a canopy over the escalator and the stairs, was that considered for Castro? A: Has been in discussion, but is not in this project. Canopy projects on lower Market were done in conjunction with BART. They will let us know. Bob thanks them for their work.

    Next presenter is Friends of Harvey Milk Plaza, who envision a new plaza that will improve on the weaknesses of the current design. Brian Springfield, Executive Director and Daniel Cunningham of SWA consulting (former Triangle resident), presented.

    Brian thanks MTA for listening to the community – they made the elevator have four stops not three, including one on Market Street. Brian says that the idea of how to honor Harvey Milk more fulsomely is the main thing the community is concerned about and wants to see that move forward. Brian emphasizes that the project is still in iteration and they can still take more input. He went over the same slides he did at Land Use (see August Land Use notes for more details), with a history of Harvey Milk’s life and the aftermath of his death. He went over what the community wants, given the input they have gathered. 1) Public space 2) Safety issues addressed, but most importantly 3) Honor Harvey Milk and portray his significance. He also went over the history of Friends community outreach and polling which has been significant, especially when compared to that of the Advocates.

    Daniel Cunningham explains what they asked the community and what the results were. For locals, or the world? A: Both. Design is based on Hope and Action. Uses the Grace Paley quote again – “the only recognizable feature of hope is action.” SWA has a cohesive, narrative design. Moves staircase west to allow more space for gathering, includes canopy that was requested earlier. Pedestal is a space for people to get up and speak, but does not block the historic façade of the B of A building. Lighting focuses back to the pedestal and a has a nod to the candlelight vigil after Milk’s death. They want to raise the sunken plaza (the 1970s-flavored part of the current design) to allow for more gathering space, and also provide sight lines all the way along. The want to emphasize the garden by bringing it up to grade. They want to have a Harvey Milk historic mural on the concourse level, and a skylight in the garden will allow for a soundscape with Harvey’s hope speech, and for more modern and updated voices too. Have figured a way to make the pedestal accessible. The elevator would be upgraded with a digital programming that would both honor Harvey and be updated to cover neighborhood issues.

    Q and A: Kevin thanked them for addressing a question from Land Use about accessibility (speaker’s pad is now accessible). K says questions in the chat about why do all the demolition and change, why not just put in the elevator? Brian says that just upgrading the elevator does not allow for increased honoring of Harvey Milk. In 2016 when MTA said they were doing construction, Friends of Harvey Milk was created as a response to that. January 2017 were the first visioning sessions, and community was thinking big. Hans asks about the possibility of activation, like food and beverage stands, other things that would bring folks in and make them stay? A: Yes, please. Lyric Youth could run that.

    Last HM presenter. Bob introduces Howard Grant, the plaza’s original architect, founder of Advocates for Harvey Milk Plaza. Denies responsibility for nooks and crannies that have been neglected. Says he is supportive of Friends desire to honor Harvey Milk. Says that Harvey Milk Plaza is eligible for listing as a historic place. Says that Harvey would want the community together. Points out that the station is a busy transit hub and is functioning well. Worries about the limited access to the station during construction. Shows some examples of possibilities like a transparent canopy that could include some art spaces, but generally presents few new ideas. His presentation is more of a “No, leave it as it is”. There were no questions.

    Moving on, we finished with a presentation by Matt Bell Civil Engineer from the Port of San Francisco, who gave a Waterfront Resilience Program update. He explained that seismic resilience and sea level rise are the major issues they are working on.  Prop A bonds covered the part of the waterfront from Hyde Street pier to the ballpark. The seawall is 100 years old, and there is a seismic risk in a big enough earthquake - the wall could fail.  Studies will run through 2025, but some projects are already out to bid, the first construction will start in 2026. The port is in partnership with the Army Corps of Engineers. If the Corps thinks it is good, federal money could pay up to 65% of the cost. As far as sea level rise they have learned the problem gets really bad and far inland at 2 to 3 feet which could happen this century and cause $30 billion in damage and destruction through 2100, so acting now is worth the investment. Matt showed a slide of the Army Corps study which goes further inland, and includes for example all of South of Market. He had some slides with examples of mitigations, like the wave wall that protects South Beach harbor.

    Prop A was a significant investment, but they are looking at more – State funding, federal funding. Looking at key things to protect, the Ferry Building, the ballpark, the sewage treatment plant. Erik points out that there is a concern that if we "harden" our shoreline we will push the problem to somewhere else (other Bay communities). Q: What managed retreat or natural (wetlands) strategies are we considering to avoid that risk?

    A: Embarcadero is already hard, so we are not adding to it.

    Bob asks how they are coordinating with other Bay stakeholders (other cities)? A: Not really. The Bay Conservation and Development Commission says SF is farther along, so we get to do what we want, other cities will learn from us.

    Bob: Any specific projects? A: Yes, 20, just haven’t figured out which ones to do.

     

    Bob and Kimyn wrapped up the meeting at 8:33.

    Board Members 2021

    1.President: Kimyn Braithwaite - Sanchez Street

    2.Vice President/Advertising Manager: Bob Bush - Beaver Street

    3.Land Use Chair: Kevin Riley - Sanchez Street

    4.Secretary: Erik Honda - Henry Street

    5.Newsletter Editor: Rose Linke - Noe Street

    6.Treasurer: Nikolai Sklaroff - Castro Street

    7.Board Member/Membership Coordinator: Paige Rausser - Beaver Street

    8.Board Member: Hans Galland

    9.Board Member: Frank Tizedes

    10.  Immediate Past President: Vacant

    11.  Board Member: Vacant

    Board Attendance: Kimyn, Bob, Kevin, Erik. 4/9 Board members attended

    Attendance: (Including board members and presenters): 23

  • 2 Aug 2021 2:53 PM | Robert Bush (Administrator)

    Duboce Triangle Neighborhood Association

    LAND USE COMMITTEE
    Monday, August 2nd, 2021 – Zoom – 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM

    Attended:
    Kevin Riley – Sanchez Street– Land Use Chair
    Kimyn Braithwaite – Sanchez Street– DTNA President
    Bob Bush – Beaver Street, DTNA Vice President
    Erik Honda – Henry Street, DTNA Secretary
    Paige Rausser – Beaver Street, DTNA Membership Coordinator
    Frank Tizedes – DTNA Board, Noe/Beaver Community Park Coordinator David Troup – 15
    th Street
    Jo Ellen Kaiser – Alpine Terrace
    Jamison Weiser – Noe Street
    Leah Culver – Walter Street
    Pat Tura – 16
    th Street
    Shannon Cairns – Henry Street

    Presenters:
    Jeremy Schaub – 240 Church
    Ty Bash – 240 Church
    Brian Springfield – Friends of Harvey Milk Plaza
    Daniel Cunningham – Design Representative for Harvey Milk Plaza Lauren Hiller – SF Planning

    PRESENTATIONS

    7:05 - 8:10 PM 1. 240 Church St (20 min) Ty Bash

    Ty Bash and Jeremy Schaub presented a slide show of the updated façade.
    The building is now 7-stories, a story taller than what was previously presented. Ty said Planning determined they could increase the number of units to 24 units total while maintaining only 13% BMR (2 units). Ty said that $1 million of fees will go towards supporting other housing - “fee-out”.
    Ground floor has a garden, Michel from Thorough Bread will get a bigger rear yard. Outdoor space for residential goes to the roof, allowing for a “fantastic” outdoor space. Longer (51 foot) façade for storefront is also a bonus. Ty says they are trying to relate to the existing street facades on Church. They plan to use modern facade tile to compliment the surrounding brickwork. Lots of articulation on the ground floor façade.

    Q and A:
    Erik makes clear we need more than 2/24 units (8%) affordable. John agrees.

    Kimyn asks how long will Thoroughbread be displaced. A: 24 months is the plan.

    ... asks how can you ensure us that you really will build this, not entitle it and flip it? ... doesn’t think that Thoroughbread will really go come back after two years. Ty Bash is “humbled” by a tenant that is doing good business and wants to come back. Says he is a builder in the city, does not flip properties.
    ... asks what has he done as a builder to fill retail spaces. Ty says he has done everything he could to accommodate tenants. Meaning he kept the lease from 2017 with no increase (no cuts either), built, and paid for the parklet. Says he has designed the space for Thoroughbread.

    2. SF Planning’s Housing Element (18 min) Shelley Caltagirone Shelley is a planner with a background in historical preservation, approved Duboce Park historical district. Explained what the Housing Element is, including equity focus, including desegregation. Housing targets have tripled, 80,000 units in SF total with a focus on affordable housing. Says there will be a focus on bringing back displaced communities, especially Black and Native American communities.

    Q&A:
    ... points out that there is a total disconnect between talk and action at Planning. They talk about supporting affordable housing, but as we saw in our last presentation, Planning allows developers to build housing with little to no affordable units. Shelley acknowledges the disconnect.
    ... says that in racial equity work you are supposed to center the voices of those communities – what do the NA and African American folks say? Shelley says that they are doing focus groups in Bayview/Mission, trying to get folks to let them in to their spaces.
    Kevin sums up, we want the Planning Department to move now towards building more affordable housing.

    3. Friends of Harvey Milk Plaza (20 min) Brian Springfield Brian reported that he has lived or worked in the Castro since 1998. Lives at Sanchez and Market, adjacent to the Triangle. Daniel Cunningham – Design Representative. Lived in the Triangle for 6 years. Gives background on Harvey Milk (the person). Gives background on how the current plans were developed, who the input folks were. The design will be refined. They have had 2 visioning sessions, and 4 community meetings going back to 2017, as well as 4 more meetings this year. Those polled want 1) a gathering space, 2) a safe and secure space.

    Daniel reported on some of the poll results that were taken about what folks wanted in the design. People want something unconventional, both for the community and for international visitors. Hope/action are twin themes of the design. Grace Paley: “The only recognizable feature of hope is action.” The new station/plaza needs to address the lack of gathering space. They propose a “pedestal” at the center. Also important not to block the historical Bank of America façade (now Soul Cycle). Lights in paving sprinkle out into the plaza, lead into the grove end. A digital billboard will allow the space to adapt over time. The new garden will be lifted up to street level and made accessible. Brian states that Tumlin is excited about bus landing could be street level, and will be a better transit/pick-up drop off point than the current stop.

    Q&A
    ... is excited about the Grace Paley quote.
    ... is excited about the raising of the garden and the idea of the bus stop.
    John feels like there could be more tribute to Harvey Milk, says there are 800 signatures on his petition to not add more concrete. He doesn’t like the sight-lines in the western end and wants two escalators (not one). 
    ... echoes John’s idea of honoring Harvey more and points out that the elevator is a separate project that has been held up. Thinks two years is too long for construction for minor improvements. ... thinks we can honor Harvey Milk without tearing up a plaza that serves many people every day.
    ... says the current west end is unusable, is dangerous, wants it changed. Likes the design. Is the “pedestal” ADA compatible? A: Not known yet. ... thinks it should be fully accessible. ... asks where is “Harvey Milk Plaza” and what is “Castro Station”. A: Good point, need to balance the memorial and the station, also need to have better signage.

    DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS (active items are bold) 8:10 PM - 8:25 PM 1. 240 Church St. - 7-story residential Kevin

    We discussed how we need something from Thorough Bread that says they are willing to come back. Erik reached out to them, as did Mandelman, but no response. Pat says you have to catch Michel there in the early morning. ... is doubtful that Thorough Bread would come back after construction. Could Thorough Bread move to 2175 Market? DTNA will likely not support this project as only 8% of the total units are BMR and our values look for buildings that have 20% BMR units.

    ACTION ITEMS (active items are bold) 8:25 PM - 8:40 PM 1. Traffic Calming (14th St) Shannon & Kevin

    Shannon and Kevin reported that they are focused on safety for 14th Street. Neighbors and McKinley school have advocated for a road diet. SFMTA and MUNI are adamant about back-in angle parking on the uphill side, by CPMC (other side would stay parallel). Not traditional angle, similar to parallel parking. Back-in angle parking offers more visibility, is easier to maneuver than parallel. MUNI doesn’t want illegal passing of a bus, very dangerous. Shannon says to look at Brannan and Townsend, those streets have back-in angle parking. This will be a new move for drivers, so SFMTA will make the spaces wider.

    Frank says that what they did on Palou is similar, but no hill, but he is a strong advocate for what they did there, it improved the street a lot.
    David asks what is the hill grade compared to the other places they have done these angled spots?

    Shannon clarifies changing the parking does not significantly increase the number of cars driving on the street.
    Leah lives on Walter and does bike up 14th St. Wants to know if there is any accommodation for Walter Street, says Walter Street needs daylighting.
    Frank reiterates that the 2-lane side of Noe is very dangerous, he lives right there and it needs to be changed.

    Kevin says we will keep moving forward, will meet with neighbors if needed but hopes to send a letter of support soon. We need to improve these dangerous conditions while there is motivation to do so.

    NEXT MEETING
    1. 
    September 6th, 2021

    Adjourned at 8:46.

    8:30 PM

    ADJOURN

  • 7 Jun 2021 3:00 PM | Robert Bush (Administrator)

    At June's DTNA Land Use meeting we discussed development projects, street conditions, and had a presentation from Refuse RefuseSF. 

    There are several developments in our neighborhood at various stages of being proposed or permitted for construction that have stalled during the pandemic. We continue to support additional housing in our community and advocate for positive growth in our neighborhood. 

    The use of our streets is another recurring topic of conversation at Land Use meetings. While we wait on SFMTA to issue the results of their Noe Slow Street survey, we continue to work with City officials and agencies to explore how we can make our public rights-of-way safer for pedestrians, cyclists, commuters, and drivers.

    Efforts like traffic calming on 14th Street will make our neighborhood safer while maintaining access and accessibility to and through our neighborhood. 
    14th Street neighbors have expressed support for traffic calming but they have raised concerns about perpendicular or angle parking on the hill. While the Land Use Committee has reviewed various parking options for 14th Street, DTNA is not advocating for any changes to the existing parking layout.

    Refuse Refuse SF is a group founded by San Franciscans who wanted to clean up their neighborhood and are spreading their message across the City. They are working with DTNA and Friends of Duboce Park to set up a trash pick-up day in the Duboce Triangle. Stay tuned for more details!

    In view of the July 4th holiday, our July 5th Land Use meeting has been canceled. Our next meeting will be on Monday, August 2nd. Please email landuse@dtna.org for a Zoom invitation to the August meeting or to ask questions regarding Land Use.  

    Read more about the June 7th  meeting, DTNA initiatives and Triangle news in the August-September issue of the Duboce Triangle News.


Address:

2261 Market Street, PMB #301, San Francisco,CA 94114

email:

info@dtna.org

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software